From 2014-2017, Shannon Manning was the talent buyer for Union Hall in Park Slope, Brooklyn, which is the 150 standing/100 seated sister venue to the Bell House. While indie music continued to be highlighted, regular runs from Mike Birbiglia, Judd Apatow, 2 Dope Queens, and Chris Gethard, and rising talent like Joe Pera, Aparna Nanchera, Julio Torres, and Jo Firestone raised the comedy profile of the venue. The New York Times credited Shannon Manning with “savvy and adventurous programming.” She also did promotion, album and podcast recording, leading to Good Orbit.
Beauty Love Truth! Wonderful guest musicians play a few of their songs, and after each song, the rotating cast of improvisers (from UCB, Second City, IO, Magnet Theater, the PIT, everywhere!) create scenes inspired by the mood, images, themes, or words from the song. Nothing is planned; sweet, tragic, or ridiculous relationships unfold, worlds are created or destroyed, souls enlightened or crushed, and magic truths underscored with laughter.
Video production for Manhattan Young Democrats (MYD) recruitment.
Promotional video for nonprofit political group MYD.
Shannon Manning shot and edited.
Greg Peterson provided the music.
Shannon Manning was the New Media Deputy for New York City in 2008, with focus on social media used to maximize old media effectiveness.
• Optimized New York State page on BarackObama.com to improve volunteer user experience and boost participation in key state canvassing and local phone banks
• Was integral part of the data team that distributed voter file data to phone bank sites, exceeding rapidly escalating weekly goals from HQ
• On Election Day, handled data requests for all of New York State’s phone banks, which resulted in 1.3 million GOTV calls to key states
• Updated New York State blog. Wrote, researched, and vetted volunteer-submitted reports and slideshows. Promoted selected grassroots events
• Shot and produced volunteer recruitment videos
David Pollak, New York State Director, Obama for America
“Shannon was a dedicated and hard worker in an impossibly stressful environment – a Presidential campaign. She worked long hours, beat all deadlines, and she and her team accomplished the impossible, generating 1.3 million GOTV phone calls from more than 20 volunteer phone banks throughout the State.”
Benjamin Yee, New Media Director and VoterFile/Data Manager, NY, Obama for America
“During the Obama campaign Shannon was indispensable to the functioning of the New Media department. Shannon’s skill set is diverse – capable of helping with both web design and programming as well as creating the content necessary to make a website worth visiting. She is also more than capable of independent action, figuring out ways to solve problems that were posed to her. A pleasure to work with and very humorous, she has become a good friend of mine post-campaign.”
With Lizz Winstead, co-creator of the Daily Show:
- Produced, directed, and edited a web series for Lifetime TV called Gift Intervention
- Produced, shot, directed, and edited a reality-show pilot for Fuse TV
- Wrote and produced video segments and produced live stage show with 3-camera shoot and web video show called Shoot the Messenger
“As the quiet chaos of the comings and goings and People With Keys continues throughout the evening into the night, the writers work. It is equal-parts newsroom budget meeting and Saturday Night Live bull session – demanding, funny, intense. At the moment, the crew is still searching for a slogan that will sum up a holiday special that attempts to persuade all religions to embrace materialism the way Christians have with Christmas. Slogans are tossed out. Some are met with indifference, silence, polite chuckles. Then, out of nowhere, Manning says, “Consume All Ye Faithful.” Ding-ding-ding. We have a winner. But there are no high-fives, no exaggerated back-pats, just a natural move to the next order of business: There’s more work to be done, as show time is two days away.”
Writing and video clips available upon request.